Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Channel to the Med

Channel to the Med 3 months 2 weeks ago #4618

• Chris Latham
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
From the 9th June 3 0f the older members of the club (all pensioners) will be attempting to ride from Ouistreham to Nice via Mount Ventoux. It is approx 900 miles & it will take us 2 weeks. Chris Latham Val Bridges & Pete Coomber are all set for this challenge. You can follow it on Strava or this Blog.

Chris & Viv have come over a couple of days earlier to get acclimatized (yes it is wet & cold). Today Chris rode to Caen on this amazing cycle path with no potholes & segregated cyclists from runners & walkers. I climbed 900 feet & had the wind behind me. Of course I had to turn round into the wind but you can't have everything.

I passed Pegasus Bridge & as it was the 6th June there was a full enactment of the Allies capturing the bridge. I didn't realise that the French took it so seriously. We are staying close to Sword Beach & the place is awash with the French in various Allied uniforms. Amazing.

Further info to come.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MickSue, teamcrane, martinsmith

Channel to the Med 3 months 1 week ago #4619

• TriVal
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
Ah Chris ... you beat me to it - I was just going to post re: our imminent departure...... the "real" Tour de France..

I have cable ties and duct tape in my "handy box" - what more does a girl need on holiday?

....and if Pete talks too much, I know where the duct tape is going! Mwah! B)

Channel to the Med 3 months 1 week ago #4625

• Chris Latham
  • Junior Boarder
7th June 2018

Short ride along Sword Beach. Stopped for the monument where the soldiers were. Pictures on Strava.

I rode the Cycle path along the beach. not one pothole for 2.5 miles & I tried very hard to find one. There was also a man with a big leaf blower contraption blowing the sand off the path.

Must get Northampton Council over here. Oh no there isn't any money!

Channel to the Med 3 months 1 week ago #4626

• Chris Latham
  • Junior Boarder
8th June 2018

Picked Pete & Val up from St Malo today ready for the big off tomorrow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: martinsmith

Channel to the Med 3 months 1 week ago #4627

• TriVal
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
Let's not go in may he said... it might rain. Let's go in june.... aaargh... i hate chris latham! Thunder and lightning this afternoon and arrived at hotel like drowned rats. Not been this wet since... ooh... let me think... LEJOG!!!! But a superb first day nonetheless. Beaufiful cycle path along thw river this morning and rather more undulating this afternoon.

Channel to the Med 3 months 1 week ago #4629

• Chris Latham
  • Junior Boarder
9th June 2018

The day started badly when Val’s Garmin decided not to work & it started to rain. Pete thought he had left his money in his Hotel (fortunately found it later) so we started off the back (usual position). We trundled off to Pegasus Bridge & then Caen & it stopped raining but not for long. Lovely countryside but wet.

Stopped for lunch & it got torrential. After lunch the hills started as did the thunder together with the rain. Riding to the finish we hit another storm with thunder & lightning & more torrential rain. Arrived at hotel like 3 drowned rats. When we booked it I said let’s go in June the weather will be good. Little did I know.

Unfortunately the storms are coming your way so somebody warn Derek & tell him to get his sandbags out.

I would love to tell you where we have been but the course notes turned into papermache & the only thing we saw was rain. Tomorrow is even worse. C’ est la vie as they say in France. Oh we are in France just doesn’t feel like it.
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds