Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Time Trials at risk - urgent call for help

Time Trials at risk - urgent call for help 3 weeks 3 days ago #4688

• Jonathan Cox
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi Folks

We have been struggling all season to provide marshalls for the club time trials on Weds evening. Last week we only had 3 (including me who was intending to race) and from next week we do not have any (apart from a few timekeepers) for the rest of the season.

The marshalls perform an essential safety role. Most roles are "non technical" but very important so anyone can do it.
Without the marshalls there is a real risk that the races will have to be cancelled.

For racers - if you want a chance to win a trophy, or even if you just want to know that the races will be happening, please can you make sure that you sign up for at least 3 marshalling slots

For all club members - if you are available for one or two Wednesday evenings over the next 2-3 months please would you very seriously consider giving up a couple of hours to help out.

Trevor P has spent hours trying to encourage enough people to turn out each week to fill the marshalling rota and it is both hard work and quite demoralising so lets show our support and thanks to him for everything he does.

If you can help out at all please call Trevor and get your name down

Thank you very much

Jonathan
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Time Trials at risk - urgent call for help 3 weeks 2 days ago #4689

• Chris Latham
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
The time has come to have a radical rethink about. Club Time Trials. Obviously only a very small percentage of the membership are interested in Time Trials or take part in them. However the club Time Trial has an iconic status in cycling club history.
It doesn’t seem unreasonable to me (but it might to others) to ask able bodied members to give up 1 Wednesday evening per season to help out at the Time Trials. We could then allocate helpers at the beginning of the season with the proviso that if they can’t make it they would find a replacement.
A simple E Mail or phone reminder a couple of weeks before an event is all that would be required.
Just a thought.

Time Trials at risk - urgent call for help 3 weeks 2 days ago #4690

• martinsmith
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Chris’ suggestion is one way of addressing the supply side of the problem and I’m sure there are other ways as well, but the problem is an imbalance between supply and demand of TT helpers (demand being the number of slots to fill).

We could alter the demand side by looking at any of the following plus I’m sure others will think of more:

1. The 30mile TT requires a lot of helpers and only 4 rode it and it is only a recent addition to our calendar so maybe it could be removed or replaced with a shorter requiring fewer helpers and being more attractive to club riders.
2. Hold events once a fortnight
3. Start the season later and/or end it earlier
4. Hold fewer events in school holidays if these are more difficult to get helpers for (and fewer riders)
5. Replace 1 or more 25s with 10s to attract more riders who would be obliged to help more (leaving at least one 25 firbthecyrophie event)

I’m not suggesting we do any of these, I’m just raising them as discussion points as we need to look at demand as well as supply.

Time Trials at risk - urgent call for help 3 weeks 2 days ago #4691

• semler
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 12
Chris: A good thought; the current phone T system is not fit 4 purpose

Martini: make TTs free, make Entrants commit 2 marshal before riding, take CTC guidelines with large pinch of salt.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 2 days ago by semler.

Time Trials at risk - urgent call for help 3 weeks 1 day ago #4693

• robg
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I'd certainly agree with Martin, the root of the problem is that there aren't many people riding the TTs. I think it's somewhat inevitable, in these days of Strava, cheap power meters, smart trainers, ... TTs don't have quite the same role they once had.

So cutting down the season, tweaking the events a bit would make sense. Other suggestions welcome on how it can engage people more, something beyond possibly winning a trophy at the end of the year. (On that subject, I'd pitch for a rule change that you don't have to be a 1st claim member to win a trophy; if someone comes along and rides and marshals, then give them a trophy ...)

I'll declare early that I don't intend to carry on as Racing Secretary next year, so maybe an opportunity for anyone who might want to take over next year to join the discussion now and influence what happens next year.

Rob

Time Trials at risk - urgent call for help 3 weeks 5 hours ago #4695

• Chris Latham
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
We need to make our TT’s more appealing & to publicise them more. We have many bike shops in our area that benefit from our members & we could enlist their help in providing prizes or sponsoring TT’s. That might incentiveise kłmore riders.

Additionally we have a unique set of TT courses (especially if you can negotiate the first corner on th 10 course. Must try it again sometime). OK you are never going to get a super fast time but they are challenging & perhaps we can use this to our advantage. What about a prize for the fastest time under the hour for the 25 in a season? We have also lost the Norland Combine this year but perhaps we could combine more with our local clubs in promoting our events.

I am sure that with a bit of thought we could spice up our TT’s.
Time to create page: 0.492 seconds