Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Monthly Ride Listing and Leader Volunteer Sheet

Monthly Ride Listing and Leader Volunteer Sheet 3 years 9 months ago #2853

• JulianG
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I commented to Craig a few weeks ago that it was not that easy now to see which rides were running on which days, or which rides already had volunteer leaders prepared to take them out. There have been similar comments in the Forum from others, so I decided to do something about it by providing a list of the rides scheduled at weekends for the coming weeks, against which club members may volunteer to lead.

The new ride format introduced last autumn has something to offer for pretty much all of us, but remember that if there is no leader, these rides will not happen, so in my view we should be prepared to help out from time to time and share the task.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-qpAeo0W...ZT8/edit?usp=sharing

Follow the link; no further log in or registration is required. You can see the upcoming rides for February and March and the Leader, Destination and Cafe cells are freely editable for you to volunteer. When done, just close the browser tab, there's no need to Save.

Please don't change details added by existing volunteers and use the facility respectfully. Hopefully this will prove useful and in a few weeks the link can be moved to a menu on the Home page and the ride lists will be extended beyond March.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JohnW

Monthly Ride Listing and Leader Volunteer Sheet 3 years 9 months ago #2854

• martinsmith
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
Thanks for this Julian. If I put my 'I'm a local resident not in a cycling club and considering joining the A5 Rangers' hat on and I'm looking at this on the Home Page, I would look at these rides and think the D ride is for those capable of group riding at 18.0mph and above, the C ride is for those capable of group riding at 16.0 - 17.9mph (i.e. a 2mph range), the B ride is for those capable of group riding at 12.0 - 15.9mph (i.e. a 4mph range as those capable of 15.0 - 15.9 aren't quick enough for the C ride) and the A ride is for anything less than 12mph.

The 2 middle rides (B & C) having ranges of 4mph and 2mph seem imbalanced and 1 ride having a range of 4mph seems too big a range to me so maybe we should do one of the following:

a) split the B ride so we have 3 middle rides each with 2mph ranges: 12 - 13.9, 14.0 - 15.9 and 16.0 - 17.9
b) move the boundary between B and C so they each have a 3mph range: 12 - 14.9 and 15.0 - 17.9
c) increase the minimum speed of B ride by 1 mph so B = 13.0 - 15.9 (3mph range)
d) increase the minimum speed of B ride by 2 mph so B = 14.0 - 15.9 (2mph range)

I have deliberately ignored the current and Summer speeds of current club members as an outsider wouldn't know this and current club members speed up and slow down over time due to training/injury/illness/other commitments and would want to see a gradual progression in speed of groups rather than a big step and a small step.

This is not aimed specifically at you Julian, but a general observation for all to see and voice opinions if they want to.
The following user(s) said Thank You: semler, Kevin Bacon

Monthly Ride Listing and Leader Volunteer Sheet 3 years 9 months ago #2855

• S Pullen
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I personally like the look of model (d) as a c rider myself normally.
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by S Pullen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: martinsmith

Monthly Ride Listing and Leader Volunteer Sheet 3 years 9 months ago #2856

• Kevin Bacon
  • Fresh Boarder
I concur. I think it is a much better balanced structure

Monthly Ride Listing and Leader Volunteer Sheet 3 years 9 months ago #2857

• JulianG
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
My intention was simply to afford easy visibility of current scheduled rides and to make it VERY easy for members to volunteer to lead a ride. No excuses now!

Your point is well made Martin, I've thought for a while that the total speed range of B and C rides is such that a third ride is required to provide an even speed spread, also to facilitate progression if that's a personal aim.

That however once again draws attention to the need for ride leaders to come forward; increasing the ride offer will require additional leaders every week and in general we seem to rely on a very small group of regulars.

Monthly Ride Listing and Leader Volunteer Sheet 3 years 9 months ago #2858

• Kevin Bacon
  • Fresh Boarder
I apologise, I
somehow lost the last sentence. "I lean toward solutions c or b".

Keyboard is playing up

KTB
Time to create page: 0.350 seconds